Overview of the Intelligent System.
Structure Of The Functioning Of An IS
The easiest way to present an overall view of the structure is with a representative diagram. We have constructed one for an IS and present it below.
As you can see from this diagram, the IS is fundamentally a type of stimulus-response system. The stimulus is the sum of the communications entering through the senses. The brain extracts information from this and represents it as a situation.
Next, the IS selects a response rule, appropriate to the situation, and performs the response part of this rule. Here we mean by “appropriate” that performing the response permits the system to get nearer to the situation that is its objective. The IS makes its selection of response rules from those that it finds stored in its memory. In this memory, the IS has accumulated response rules that it has generated from earlier experiences and form generalizations based on previously elaborated response rules.
Many researchers have recognized “stimulus and response” as the fundamental mechanism in animal activity, but nowadays, this is modified. The perceptual control theory states that often the animal acts in such a way that it changes the situation that it perceives to the situation that is its objective
But are these also the fundamental mechanisms in the human mind? At first, it does not seem possible that all (or nearly all) of the activity of the human brain could be something as simple as a type of sophisticated stimulus-response mechanism, used to reach an objective. However, we need to keep in mind that all the incredible and varied activity that we can observe in computer systems today is based on only a few very simple capabilities, namely: to add, subtract, compare, and jump to a different place in the program. Thus, a very complex response, based on a sequence of only a few elementary activities, is perfectly possible.
By generalizing and abstracting from our experiences we can learn more general response rules. It turns out that it is this learned mental activity that permits us to think and do so many things. We have learned how to walk, how to do arithmetic, how to write, how to dress and to behave, and even how to create intelligent learning systems. To a large extent we have learned how to think, how to make plans, how to extrapolate. This learning process starts at birth and goes on intensively for many years until the end of schooling. Even then the learning never stops.
Need for a Complete System
Researchers in the science of “Artificial Intelligence” has investigated many areas of the mind such as pattern matching, vision, and theorem proving. However, all of these are only parts of the human mind. An intelligent system could include all of these parts, but it still would not be complete, and could not function, unless it also had sensed, a method to choose responses according to its objectives and memories, and some way of performing these responses in and on its environment.
Programming versus Learning
Since it is impossible to foresee all of the many different situations in which an artificial IS may eventually find itself, we should not attempt to program its responses. It is better if, as it goes along its way through its “life”, the artificial IS learns how to act based on its own past experiences. There are, though, a few useful exceptions to this rule. For example, an IS will greatly benefit from a few of the most basic instincts. For starters, I would include the following:
. self-preservation (survival) by avoiding damage to the body or mind.
. curiosity, to promote the learning opportunity and thus accelerate it.
. copying of actions done by other intelligent systems.
- How to Create a Basic HTML PageHTML is the foundation of the World Wide Web. It is the markup language used to structure the content of a web page. HTML is divided into two main parts: the document content and the presentation layer. The document content is the text, images, and other elements that make up the web page. The presentation…
- COMPUTER SCIENCE / IT Project Documentation Example.COMPUTER SCIENCE / IT Project Documentation Example free download. A common question asked of project management leaders is, “What is the value of project documentation, and how can I be sure I’m doing it correctly?” Project documentation is undeniably important in project management training. It is substantiated by the two primary tasks of documentation: ensuring…
- How to Make Money as a Web DeveloperHow to Make Money as a Web Developer There are many ways to make money as a web developer. Here are some of the most common: 1. Freelance work This is probably the most common way for web developers to make money. There are many websites and online platforms that allow you to find and…
- The Easy way to Start A Service Business OnlineStart A Service Business Online A Step-By-Step Guide. If you have a service-based business, then you’ve probably thought about how to start a service business online. One of the best ways to start a service business online is to combine your strong points with what the internet has to offer and maximize your strengths. # In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to take in order to build a successful service-based business from scratch. # Keep on reading if you’d like some simple tips for starting a new service company.
- 8 Best Practices For Email Marketers.Today, email marketing is an essential part of every business’ online presence It’s a fact that email marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach customers. But before you can build your next email marketing campaign, it’s important to know what makes a successful email marketing strategy. The role of an email marketer is to send emails. However, many people want to do the job because they think it’s easy and profitable. You may hear about the great earnings email marketers make and think that you can do it too. But there are many elements involved in this career.