Basic Computer Operations.
A computer as shown in the figure below performs basically five major operations or functions
irrespective of its size and make. These are 1) it accepts data or instructions by way of input, 2)
it stores data, 3) it can process data as required by the user, 4) it gives results in the form of
output, and 5) it controls all operations inside a computer. We know that a computer is used to
(i) Collect (ii) Organise (iii) Sort and, (iv) transform raw facts into meaningful information form,
which logic conclusions can be drawn.
We discuss below each of these basic Computer operations.
- Input: This is the process of entering data and programs in to the computer system. You
should know that computer is an electronic machine like any other machine which takes as
inputs raw data and performs some processing giving out processed data. Therefore, the input
unit takes data from us to the computer in an organized manner for processing.
Figure : Basic computer Operations.
- Storage: The process of saving data and instructions permanently is known as storage. Data
has to be fed into the system before the actual processing starts. It is because the processing
speed of Central Processing Unit (CPU) is so fast that the data has to be provided to CPU with
the same speed. Therefore the data is first stored in the storage unit for faster access and
processing. This storage unit or the primary storage of the computer system is designed to do the
above functionality. It provides space for storing data and instructions.
The storage unit performs the following major functions:
• All data and instructions are stored here before and after processing.
• Intermediate results of processing are also stored here.
- Processing: The task of performing operations like arithmetic and logical operations is called
processing. The Central Processing Unit (CPU) takes data and instructions from the storage unit
and makes all sorts of calculations based on the instructions given and the type of data provided.
It is then sent back to the storage unit.
- Output: This is the process of producing results from the data for getting useful information.
Similarly the output produced by the computer after processing must also be kept somewhere
inside the computer before being given to you in human readable form. Again the output is also
stored inside the computer for further processing.
- Control: The manner how instructions are executed and the above operations are performed.
Controlling of all operations like input, processing and output are performed by control unit. It
takes care of step by step processing of all operations inside the computer.
- How to make money on YouTubeWhat is YouTube? YouTube is a video-sharing website where users can upload, share, and view videos. YouTube was founded in February 2005 and has since become the most popular video-sharing website in the world. Users can upload videos of any length, and can also share and view videos uploaded by other users. YouTube is a…
- How to Create a Basic HTML PageHTML is the foundation of the World Wide Web. It is the markup language used to structure the content of a web page. HTML is divided into two main parts: the document content and the presentation layer. The document content is the text, images, and other elements that make up the web page. The presentation…
- COMPUTER SCIENCE / IT Project Documentation Example.COMPUTER SCIENCE / IT Project Documentation Example free download. A common question asked of project management leaders is, “What is the value of project documentation, and how can I be sure I’m doing it correctly?” Project documentation is undeniably important in project management training. It is substantiated by the two primary tasks of documentation: ensuring…
- How to Make Money as a Web DeveloperHow to Make Money as a Web Developer There are many ways to make money as a web developer. Here are some of the most common: 1. Freelance work This is probably the most common way for web developers to make money. There are many websites and online platforms that allow you to find and…
- The Easy way to Start A Service Business OnlineStart A Service Business Online A Step-By-Step Guide. If you have a service-based business, then you’ve probably thought about how to start a service business online. One of the best ways to start a service business online is to combine your strong points with what the internet has to offer and maximize your strengths. # In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to take in order to build a successful service-based business from scratch. # Keep on reading if you’d like some simple tips for starting a new service company.